Thursday 4 August 2011

The Nelson Mandela Children's Fund - With Richard


The Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund aims to take the top students in schools and train them to a high standard so that they put the skills to use to better the lives of children. As Marion explains this Bethany who takes part in the programme is joining us.

The questions I ask and the responses given provoke the thought that at the risk of sounding like a cliché Nelson Mandela believes that the children are the future and he does care a lot about giving children the best start.

I ask Bethany how she came to be involved and she revealed that it all started when they came to her school and gave a talk. She then became intrigued and wanted to get involved. Se told me that on a trip to South Africa she went to volunteer tat a school and was in charge of a class. That experience was what made her want to do this. Local communities can even get involved with fundraising too in the country as well as in South Africa.

I was a little nervous before the interview but was put at ease with the casual nature of the whole thing. I was really impressed with Bethany who was only 16; someone who is young and willing to help in whatever way she could to help towards a bigger picture. I hope that this work continues to go from strength to strength and attracts a lot more people to help such a good cause.

During the interview I actually forgot I was interviewing Marion and I felt like I was there to sign up to the programme luckily the response of the recorder kicked me back into conducting an interview. This was my first roving report for Locke on Radio and I really enjoyed it.

Richards Interview will feature on Episode 3 – YEARNING ON 25TH SEPT.

No comments:

Post a Comment